This post may contain affiliate links, which means I may receive a commission, at no extra cost to you, if you make a purchase through a link. Please see my for further information.
So, it’s that time of year, but this time in July! We celebrate Christmas in July! So, let’s have a party and enjoy time and good food and drink with the people we like!
I’ve put together a wonderful collection of recipes for you here with sweet and savory delights for a unique Christmas in July party!
But before you dig into the delicious recipes, why do we celebrate Christmas in July? I mean, yes, you can always celebrate, right? But where does Christmas in July come from? So let’s take a quick detour to find out:
- What Christmas in July is all about?
- 36 Christmas in July Recipes for your awesome Party
- Party Drinks
- 1. Christmas Morning Mimosas – The Short Order Cook
- 2. Christmas Cosmopolitan
- 3. Frozen Hot Chocolate Frappe – The Stress-Free Christmas
- 4. Irish Coffee Milkshake Shooters
- 5. Peppermint Martini Recipe
- Savory Party Food Recipes
- 6. Christmas Salad
- 7. Caprese Christmas Wreath
- 8. Ranch Snowman Cheeseball
- 9. Beef Crostini with Mascarpone Sauce
- 10. Easy Puff Pastry Sausage Rolls
- 11. Baked Brie with Cranberry Sauce
- 12. 4 Cheese Ball Recipes
- Sweet Party Food Recipes
- 13. Candy Cane Cupcakes | Christmas Dessert | Holiday | EmilyFabulous
- 14. Strawberry Santas
- 15. Christmas pudding ice cream
- 16. Egg Liqueur Parfait with Homemade Egg Liqueur
- 17. Poinsettia Cookies – Sula and Spice
- 18. Moist Christmas Cake Balls (My Most Requested Holiday Dessert)| Aleka’s Get-Together
- 19. Christmas Tree Cupcakes
- 20. Snowmen Vegan Meringue Cookies
- 21. Grinch Jello Shots
- 22. Strawberry Christmas Lights
- 23. Festive Eggnog Pancakes That Will Make Santa Proud
- 24. Decadent Whiskey Chocolate Truffles | Marley’s Menu
- 25. Host an ugly Christmas sweater cookie decorating party
- 26. Christmas Pudding Protein Balls
- 27. Cake Pop Maker Ginger Bread Pops
- 28. How To Make Stained Glass Cookies
- 29. Christmas Tree Cookies
- 30. Christmas Chocolate Salad
- 31. Candied Pecans | Sometimes you feel like a nut
- 32. Vegan White Chocolate Peppermint Cookies (Gluten-Free, Allergy-Free)
- 33. Homemade Marshmallows
- 34. No-bake Vanilla Christmas Cheesecake
- 35. Easy Christmas cake
- 36. Vegan Chocolate Star Bread - Sugar Spice ’N Everything Nice
What Christmas in July is all about?
Christmas in July or Christmas in Summer is a second Christmas celebration held around the summer season, mainly during July. It is centered around Christmas-themed activities and entertainment, including small gatherings, seasonal music and specials, and shopping, with the goal of getting the public in the “Christmas spirit” during the summer season in the Northern Hemisphere.
Werther, an 1892 French opera with libretto by Édouard Blau, Paul Milliet, and Georges Hartmann, had an English translation published in 1894 by Elizabeth Beall Ginty. In the story, a group of children rehearses a Christmas song in July, to which a character responds: “When you sing Christmas in July, you rush the season.” It is a translation of the French: “vous chantez Noël en juillet… c’est s’y prendre à l’avance.” This opera is based on Goethe‘s The Sorrows of Young Werther. Christmas features in the book, but July does not.
In 1935, the National Recreation Association’s journal Recreation described what a Christmas in July was like at a girl’s camp, writing that “all mystery and wonder surround this annual event.”
The term, if not the exact concept, was given national attention with the release of the Hollywood movie comedy Christmas in July in 1940, written and directed by Preston Sturges. In the story, a man is fooled into believing he has won $25,000 in an advertising slogan contest. He buys presents for family, friends, and neighbors, and proposes marriage to his girlfriend.
Another explanation for Christmas in July is that the concept of Christmas in July itself was originally a way for people living in southern hemispheres to make up for missing out on that typical white Christmas we’ve been dreaming of. Celebrating in July gives those living in the southern hemisphere a chance to eat all the hearty Christmas cuisine and wear ugly Christmas sweaters as seen on TV. But it’s not just isolated to the individual with many shops and restaurants offering Christmas in July sales or meals for the season.
How to celebrate?
- Deck your halls
- Get creative with your Christmas in July menu
- Bring back the Elf on the Shelf
- Keep it simple with your Christmas in July gifts
- Find other ways to bring some holiday fun to your summer
Which countries are celebrating Christmas in July?
- New Zealand
- South Africa
Interesting, isn’t it? But now it’s time for the promised recipes.
36 Christmas in July Recipes for your awesome Party
A delicious beverage can not be missing at a Christmas party, even more so. Therefore, we begin our journey into the party recipes with a few delicious drinks!
1. Christmas Morning Mimosas – The Short Order Cook
2. Christmas Cosmopolitan
3. Frozen Hot Chocolate Frappe – The Stress-Free Christmas
4. Irish Coffee Milkshake Shooters
5. Peppermint Martini Recipe
Savory Party Food Recipes
It does not always have to be sweet! Here are delicious savory recipes to discover for your Christmas in July party!
6. Christmas Salad
7. Caprese Christmas Wreath
8. Ranch Snowman Cheeseball
9. Beef Crostini with Mascarpone Sauce
10. Easy Puff Pastry Sausage Rolls
11. Baked Brie with Cranberry Sauce
12. 4 Cheese Ball Recipes
Learn how to make four Festive flavors: White Cheddar Rosemary Pomegranate, Cheddar Pimiento, Garlic Chive Goat Cheese, and Blue Cheese Cranberry Pecan.
These will be the star holiday party appetizer on a cheese board, and don’t they just say Merry Christmas..
Sweet Party Food Recipes
But if it should be something sweet, you will certainly find the right recipe here!
13. Candy Cane Cupcakes | Christmas Dessert | Holiday | EmilyFabulous
14. Strawberry Santas
15. Christmas pudding ice cream
16. Egg Liqueur Parfait with Homemade Egg Liqueur
17. Poinsettia Cookies – Sula and Spice
18. Moist Christmas Cake Balls (My Most Requested Holiday Dessert)| Aleka’s Get-Together
19. Christmas Tree Cupcakes
20. Snowmen Vegan Meringue Cookies
21. Grinch Jello Shots
22. Strawberry Christmas Lights
23. Festive Eggnog Pancakes That Will Make Santa Proud
24. Decadent Whiskey Chocolate Truffles | Marley’s Menu
- Women's Ugly Christmas Sweater Vest Shirt
- Price: $15.49
- Adult Crackling Fireplace Ugly Christmas Sweater
- Price: $39.99
26. Christmas Pudding Protein Balls
27. Cake Pop Maker Ginger Bread Pops
28. How To Make Stained Glass Cookies
29. Christmas Tree Cookies
30. Christmas Chocolate Salad
31. Candied Pecans | Sometimes you feel like a nut
32. Vegan White Chocolate Peppermint Cookies (Gluten-Free, Allergy-Free)
33. Homemade Marshmallows
You won’t believe how easy homemade marshmallows are to make! With a few simple ingredients, you’ll have all-natural, sweet and fluffy marshmallows, and they’re fun to make!
34. No-bake Vanilla Christmas Cheesecake
35. Easy Christmas cake
36. Vegan Chocolate Star Bread - Sugar Spice ’N Everything Nice
Looking for more recipe collections like this one? Check out the Christmas Appetizer Recipe Collection Part I and Christmas Appetizer Recipe Collection Part II, Christmas Dinner Soup Collection, and the Christmas Dinner Main Course Recipe Collection for more inspiration!
With this amount of both sweet and savory party food recipes and delicious drinks, you now have various ideas for your upcoming Christmas in July party! I hope you have fun celebrating! Let me know which recipe it turned out to be! I would be so happy to hear!
If you want to save the recipes for later, download my link list in PDF form, with all the recipes, then you'll have them on hand when you need them!
Have a great summer! And Merry Christmas in July! 😎 🎄